Thursday 1 December 2016

Pinch, Punch, 1st of the Month - 1 Year living with the Nest Cam

This is my first blog post of December, and my first in over a week. I came down with the dreaded "Man Flu" about a week ago, and have been moaning about it ever since. Anyway, this week marks my 1 year anniversary of living with Google's Nest Cam. I won't give a full review as there are enough of them online, however I'll give you my list of pros & cons of living with Nest's all seeing eye.

The Nest Cam is a WiFi enabled Internet Protocol (IP) Camera that has a maximum resolution of 1080p - Full HD.

IP Cameras are predominantly used for surveillance, and unlike traditional CCTV cameras, Nest can send and receive data via a computer network and the Internet. The benefits of using Nest over CCTV are:
Two-way audio via a wireless network allows users to listen to and speak with the subject of the video.
Google's video analytics allows the camera to analyze images in real time and alert you only when a human is on camera.
Remote accessibility, which allows live video from selected cameras to be viewed anywhere in the world from any computer, mobile smartphone or other device with the Nest App installed.

Disadvantages of using Nest Cameras over standard CCTV are:
Higher initial cost per camera and optional monthly/annual subscription fee. (£300pa/£30pcm for 30 days recording on 1 camera - additional camera subscriptions are slightly discounted)
A fast and reliable internet connection is required.
Video playback on the app can be temperamental.

The Nest Camera can integrate with other connected devices, such as the Nest Thermostat and Smoke Alarm amongst many others. So for example, if Nest doesn't track movement for a period of time around your house, it will turn your heating off.

After a year of Nest would I recommend it? If strengthening your home security is what you're after and it's within your budget, then yes, absolutely. I think the security and remote control of my home that Nest offers is fantastic. I just wish the subscription fee was lowered as it quickly mounts up if you have more than one camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment